Monday, August 6, 2012

Crohn's and Olympics: Connection for Athletes?



With the Olympics here is it great to see someone with Crohn's in representing us! I myself worked out since I was 16 not very hard until I went to college. In college and in graduate school I would work out pretty hard burning 500-600 calories per day and on Saturdays stay on for over an hour. My twin sister who currently does not have Crohn's disease did not work out as hard however what I ate may have been more extreme since I was doing all that working out. Maybe there is some connection between extreme work out and getting Crohn's. I have noticed stories on athletes who have got Crohn's however no one ever talks about a link. It might be possibly due to working out and having a reduced immune system which makes it harder to fight certain things.

No comments:

Post a Comment