Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Showering, Heating Pad, Sleep, and Current Status With Crohn's




One thing I have been thinking about recently is small things to help improve Crohn’s symptoms. One thing I have found is that taking showers somehow does seem to help my pain. My pain is usually near or right below my belly button and last night in the shower I cupped my hand around my stomach and that really seemed to help out in targeting specific areas of my stomach. I have heard people using heating pads and when I go to my GI next Tuesday I will ask him if that is a good idea. I slept probably 10 hours last night and felt really good today. I think sleep somehow has an impact on how Crohn’s patients feel.

In the past few days my pain and symptoms have gotten worse. I just graduated from graduate school and have been helping the family move to our new home. This was stressful considering how many boxes have to be moved. The past few nights I felt nauseated and have been having 3-4 bowel movements a day which is much more than my typical 1-2. I have a feeling my GI will recommend Humira as I have been tapering off Prednisone. If I have to take Humira that is fine. According to the CHARM and ACCENT studies it seems as if Humira helps put 36%-40% of patients in remission. However, this means it has a 60% of not putting me into remission. Also some of the side effects can be nasty however in the study the placebo group had more side effects than the people taking Humira.  Currently, I am only taking 10 mg of Prednisone along with 2400 mg of Asacol (2 in the morning and 1 at night). I did read that one of the side effects for Asacol is stomach pain which doesn't make any sense considering Crohn’s involves stomach pain. It is amazing how just feeling how I felt before Crohn's is really now considered a perfect day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment