Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Crohn's Update: Going On Humira


Yesterday I went to my GI and I had mentioned that my Crohn’s had been acting up. I was on 10 mg of Prednisone and about to taper down to 5 mg. We talked about going on Humira which I had a feeling I was going to go on given my condition. My GI said it would take about a month for Humira to start kicking in. Also he asked me how I felt and I responded “pretty crummy”. I explained to him I had been sleeping 10 hours and still felt tired, was nauseated, and had been vomiting. In the past week or so I vomited around 3 times (mainly clear things).  I do actually feel much better after I vomit though since everything is out of your system. After hearing this he said he would increase my Prednisone to 40 mg. I was taking this amount around Christmas time and was eating out the whole refrigerator and pantry (good times, good times).

I am really not worried about taking Humira. I am curious to see the how much the pain is involved. The drug has to be refrigerated (I live in Texas and hurricanes do hit so if that happened I would have to buy some dry ice to preserve the medicine). My GI said a nurse could come to the house to administer the medication. Today, I got a call from a small pharmacy who would deliver the medication tomorrow and a nurse would show up this Friday to show me how to use it and inject it.

                These past few weeks have been rough. My quality of life has suffered and I honestly want to just get back to normal as humanly possible.  There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about how my life would have been different had I never been diagnosed with Crohn’s. However, this makes me want to work even harder to spread the word not only about Crohn’s but scientifically proven treatments for this awful disease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment