Friday, June 20, 2014
Top 10 Ways To Improve Crohn's Symptoms: My Own Experience
So having Crohn's since December 2011 I thought I would publish a list of what I have learned over the years. This is only for educational purposes and is does not constitute medical advice.
1. Take your medications! (even if you feel fine)
2. Make sure you get sleep-research shows it predicts flares
3. Find a good gastroentrologist or internal medicine doctor (check to make sure they are board certified gastroenterology (here is a link to check)-usually doctors train first in internal medicine and then specialize in gastroenterology
4. When it is cold swim in cold water I have found this helps and do did this guy
5. When eating do what I call the greasy bag test-picture the food being placed in a bag and think of how much grease will it create and then think of the bag as a your digestive system
6. Work out and exercise when you are not tired
7. If you are having a flare make sure you see your doctor as soon as you can-waiting can cause more complications and problems
8. Don't get down-the last couple of years we have seen so many new drugs (with more to come) to treat Crohn's and ulcerative colitis-not to mention surgery for IBD has become less invasive over the years
9. Make sure you have insurance in case you have to get hospitalized and to cover any large expenses you may incur
10. Live life to your full potential and continue to fight Crohn's and educate others (even random strangers about it).